James T. Fordham
800-798-3162 (Toll Free)
Jim is an AV peer review preeminent rated attorney. Since 1969, he has engaged in the General Practice of Law in the North Georgia area with emphasis on Workers= Compensation, personal injury, commercial litigation, corporate, personnel law, wills and estate planning. Throughout his career he has secured many six and seven figure verdicts and settlements for his clients who have been injured by the negligence of others. He also engages in insurer and self-insured defense work, is past counsel for The Dalton-Whitfield Regional Solid Waste Management Authority, and is present counsel for the Whitfield County Merit Board. Jim's general practice of law includes representative clients such as Brown Industries, Inc., Governmental agencies, Carpet Crafts, Inc., Dalton, Georgia Wholesale Floor Covering, Inc., Georgia Carpet Industries, Home Mart Builders, Inc., Textile Industrial Welding, Inc. , Shel-Marc Carpets, Inc., Fortune Contract, Inc. and other carpet companies and related support companies.
He is a member of the Conasauga Bar Association and The State Bar of Georgia. He is licensed to practice in all Courts of the State of Georgia, the Federal District Courts of Georgia, the United States Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit and The United States Supreme Court.
Jim has chaired various charitable fund raising drives including the Cancer Drive, the Heart Fund Drive, Joint Tech Georgia Development Fund Drive, various sections of United Way campaigns and has held membership roles in various committees of the Workers= Compensation Section of the State Bar of Georgia, and the Dalton-Whitfield Chamber of Commerce.
Jim was born in Griffin, Georgia, on March 13, 1942. Following graduation from Griffin High School in 1960, he attended Furman University and the University of Georgia where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1964, and the University of Georgia School of Law where he received a Juris Doctorate degree in 1969. While at Georgia, he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Order Fraternity and the Phi Kappa Phi Legal Fraternity. Prior to law school, Jim served in the United States Marine Corps.
- $1,000,000.00 for family whose family member was killed in automobile accident in Dalton, Georgia. (Whitfield County, 2012).
- $700,000.00 for client who was severely injured after being struck by a city garbage truck (Whitfield County, 2012).
- $75,000 for client injured in auto accident in Dalton, Georgia (Whitfield County, 2012).
- $100,000.00 for client argument in accident in Dalton from 2016 – others in 2016 $50,000.00 and above.
Hobbies & Interests
1. Cattle Farming
2. Fly Fishing
4. Antique Collecting
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- 10% Labor & Employment
- Commercial Litigation
- 5% Contracts
- 5% Corporations
- Estate Planning
- 10% Insurance
- 40% Personal Injury
- Personnel Law
- 15% Trusts & Estates
- 10% Workers' Compensation
- 25% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Georgia, 1969
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D. - 1969
- Honors: Phi Kappa Phi
- University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- B.A. - 1964
- Major: History
- Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina
- Carpet Companies and Related Support Companies
- Governmental Agencies
- Brown Industries, Inc.
- Fortune Contract Inc.
- Textile Industrial Welding, Inc.
- Dalton Georgia Wholesale Floor Covering, Inc.
- Jolly Textile, Inc.
- Shelby Peoples, Dalton, GA
- Stuart Nelson, Brown Industries, Dalton, GA
- Will Fortune, Fortune Contract Inc., Dalton, GA
- Robert Varner, BB7T, Dalton, GA
- Conrad Easley, MD, Dalton, GA
- Fred Mayfield, Mayfield & Co., Dalton, GA
- Workers' Compensation, Workers' Comp. Section
- Sub Teacher, Dalton Jr. College
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Exchange Club, Vice President, 1971 - 1972
- State Board of Workers' Compensation, Various Committees
- Dalton Chamber of Commerce, Various Committees
- Conasauga Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Georgia, Member
- Cancer Drive, Chair
- Heart Fund Drive, Chair
- Joint Tech Georgia Development Fund Drive, Chair
- United Way Campaigns, Chair
- Dalton-Whitfield Regional Solid Waste Management Authority, Counsel
Past Employment Positions
- United States Marine Corps
Pro Bono Activities
- State Bar of Georgia Program, 1975 - 1988
- Various Individuals from Time to Time
- Kappa Alpha Order
- Phi Kappa Phi